I initially wanted to make this Fluffy Japanese Cheesecake from Buzzfeed. But after reading a couple of not so good feedbacks, I reverted to my dear friend google for a soufflé cheesecake recipe.
- 125g cream cheese
- 60ml milk
- 1 ½tbsp melted butter
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 egg whites
- 85g caster sugar (divide into two portions: 25g and 60 g)
- 20ml lemon juice (extracted from ½ lemon)
- 10g cornstarch
- 20g plain flour
- Preheat oven to 150°C. Place a large tray of hot water inside the oven just below the shelf where the cheesecakes are to be baked.
- Line 12 muffin holes with cupcake holders.
- Soften cream cheese with milk and oil in a bowl placed over simmering water, or in a double-boiler. Whisk until smooth, remove from heat and let cool until lukewarm.
- Beat egg yolks with 25g sugar until combined, beat in lemon juice. Gradually whisk in cheese mixture to combine. Lightly whisk in sifted cornstarch and plain flour, mix well.
- Using a hand mixer, beat egg whites until foamy. Then gradually beat in 60g sugar, spoonful by spoonful, until firm but just under stiff peaks stage.
- Fold 1/3 of the egg white mixture into the cheese mixture until thoroughly mixed in. Repeat two more times with the remaining egg white mixture.
- Spoon batter into the prepared cupcake holders, filling each cup nearly to the rim.
- Place the muffin tray on the shelf just above the tray of hot water.
- Bake for 50 minutes, or until the tops of the cheesecakes are lightly browned. Test doneness when toothpick inserted comes out clean.
To be honest, I wasn’t expecting a five-star rating from my husband. The cheesecakes came out from the oven all puffed out but I was so sad to see all of them sink in the middle after an hour. These lemon cheesecakes are so yummy. They remind me so much of a treat I used to enjoy as a kid – Lemon Square Cheesecake!
As you may have noticed from my previous baking posts, I also did some variations here and there and I am very happy it worked for me. Here’s the link to the recipe I followed: Soufflé Cheese Cupcakes by quizzine of Baking on Cloud 9.