I found this recipe for American Blueberry Muffins at sortedfood.com and it has become my go-to recipe for muffins. I tried it with blueberry, raspberry, cheese — all turned out delicious! Now, I’m trying it with kiwifruit.
- 350 g plain flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 200 g vanilla caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 240 ml buttermilk (I didn’t have this in my fridge so I used 240ml whole milk and added 2 tbsp apple cider)
- 120 ml sunflower oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 pcs kiwifruit
- 1 tbsp brown sugar (for sprinkling on top)
- Preheat an oven to 220ºC. Sit large muffin cases into a muffin tray in preparation for the mixture.
- Weigh the flour, baking powder, salt and caster sugar into a bowl, then stir to combine. Whisk the eggs, buttermilk, oil and vanilla extract in a second bowl.
- Pour the wet stuff into the dry stuff, then mix gently until fully combined, taking care not to overwork the mixture. Too much stirring causes chewy muffins. Dice the kiwifruit into small cubes — about 12 cubes per piece of kiwifruit. Gently mix the kiwifruit cubes into the batter. Save some kiwifruit for toppings.
- Divide the mixture between the muffin cases, making sure they are filled ¾ of the way up. Dot the remaining kiwifruit on top of the muffins and sprinkle with the brown sugar.
- Place them into the oven and immediately turn it down to 180ºC. Bake for 25 minutes, until risen, golden and if you poke a clean skewer into the muffin it comes out clean too.
- Allow to cool in the muffin tins for 10 minutes before lifting onto a wire rack to cool completely before serving.
I am consistently getting a high approval rate from my husband lately. Haha. Here’s the link to the original recipe at sortedfood.com: American Blueberry Muffins. Enjoy!